|Managed by:||Philip Bird|
|Gauge:||Finescale 00 – 1:76|
Press Pack Download
Cheltenham Leckhampton Station was opened in 1881 with single line track as part of the Banbury and Cheltenham Railway. It was originally named Leckhampton and the line was doubled in 1902. Services of the Midland and South Western Junction Railway also used the station as it was permitted to use the line from Andoversford to Cheltenham. The station closed to passengers and goods in 1962.
It was sited in a cutting to the east of the road to Birdlip (B4070) with the road crossing North to South via a bridge, which still exists. The station building was a typical GWR brick suburban building on the up (northern) platform. A waiting shelter was sited on the down platform and gardens were a feature of both platforms.
Goods sidings were located to the east of the station with a small goods shed, yard crane and weighbridge. A signal box was also at the east end and controlled both the main lines and the sidings.
The station was renamed “Cheltenham South and Leckhampton” in 1906 to attract custom from the growing south of Cheltenham and to enable the new service from Newcastle-upon-Tyne to Swansea, the Port to Port Express, to call at Cheltenham. This train took the Hatherley loop to Gloucester to save a reversal at one of the main stations in Cheltenham. The platforms were also extended to cater for these longer trains. The name was simplified in 1952 to “Cheltenham Leckhampton”.
The whole site was about ¼ mile long and to the east of the site the line was crossed by a brick footbridge. Although this footbridge and the cutting to the east still exist, the latter being a nature walk, the station site now consists of two blocks of flats and an industrial estate.
Locomotives were mainly of GWR origin and in the early days MSWJR the largest being the heavy freight 2800. However, in the 1950s it is known that a trains from Andover, via the old MSWJR line ran usually headed by a Southern U class 2-6-0.
Cheltenham Leckhampton is one of many layouts owned by “The Gloucester Model Railway Club”. Contact Phil Bird on 01242 517760.